Welcome to the Slant, where you'll find reviews and original writings by the members of Martin Library's Teen Advisory Board.

Thursday, December 10, 2009

Ruveneska: The Scavenge, Chapter 3: Clues

by Darro C.

Shuren woke up the next day fairly tired. Though it was nothing the enchanted pool could not treat. After a quick dip, Shuren got dressed. He decided to go have a talk with Rollan. He quickly walked through his double doors and into the marble hallway. Many Zelzes were up and carrying on with their own business. Shuren walked throughout the webbed hallways and to Rollan’s room. He stood at the door quietly for a few seconds. He raised his hand to knock, though he felt he did not have to.

“Come in Shuren,” said a voice from inside the room.

Shuren was dumbfounded. His hand was still in the air. Through his entire life of knowing Rollan, he was always capable of amazing Shuren. He entered the room quietly. For the first time in his life, Shuren caught Rollan doing something imaginable. He was sitting promptly in an armchair, with a book placed in his hands.

“Rollan, are you reading?” Shuren asked astonished.

Rollan looked up at Shuren as if he had said something wrong. “Ah yes, I am actually. Not quite often will you find me reading a book these days.”

Shuren took a seat across from Rollan. “I remember when you wanted me to get you that copy of The Gospel of Oryk.” Rollan closed his book and smiled. “Why was it that you wanted me to get that for you? You never actually received the book from me.”

“Oh well, I’ve read that book more times than I have cast any spell,” Rollan stood up and went into his back room. “I just wanted you to know a little about the world that you are prophesied to save.”

Shuren frowned. One thing that could always make Shuren frown was the fact that he was chosen to save the world. He never quite got over the fact that a seventeen year old boy was to vanquish evil from the world of Oryk. Shuren though more of the book he was to deliver to Rollan. Than suddenly, a subject popped into Shuren‘s head, something he forgotten all about until recently. “Rollan, what happened that night? When I went to give you that book, you were gone.”

Rollan entered the room with an armful of books. He placed them on the table between the two. He sat down and paused for a moment. Shuren began to wonder if he was going to answer at all. Rollan raised his hand and began stroking his white beard. “Well Shuren,” he said. “What happened to me was ironic, really.”

“Well, let’s hear it than,” Shuren said eagerly.

“Earlier that day, I spotted a black bolt of lightning in the forest neighboring Hogony. I was preparing to investigate it when you came to my house,” Rollan explained.

Shuren remembered correctly. He saw a man in a black coat in the forest that day, it was obviously a Mawbryn. “Rollan, I remember seeing a Mawbryn that day. It was the first time I had seen one, I fled as fast as I could.”

“That’s right; you came out of the forest that day. When you came to my doorstep, I wanted you to get me that book, knowing I wouldn’t be there when you came back. I suspect that you read some of it that day,” Rollan said. Shuren nodded. “Well, after you left, I left the village and scouted the forest, and no doubt I saw a Mawbryn that day. I followed him, and he led me into the graveyard of which you found me in. He saw me and summoned the rest of his squad. I met every single member of the Mawbryn that day.”

Shuren was astounded; Rollan met with every Mawbryn member and was still alive. “Exactly how many members were there?”

Rollan paused again. He looked up and took a breath. “. . . There were seventeen of them.”

Shuren felt as if he were struck in the chest. There were seventeen of them! “There were seventeen?” Rollan nodded. “What about the leader? Was he there?”

“Yes, he was there.” Rollan said. “His power compared to the rest of them is on a different scale. The sixteen members of Mawbryn I could handle. They attacked me and I was able to fight them off. But their leader, he was about matched to me, probably stronger. If it were me and him one on one, I might have been able to fight him off, but there were too many of them. They cornered me and the leader began to threaten the village.”

“What did he say?” Shuren wondered out loud.

“He thought that I was still the Ruven, and threatened the village if I did not come with them. I went with them, to their lair. I did not see Garland there; they said he was taking care of some business down south. They tried to keep me there.”

Shuren was still in shock. “Rollan, why is it they wanted you?”

Rollan began to stare at the books sitting before him. “They wanted me because they though that I was the Ruven.”

Shuren looked up at Rollan staggered. “They took you because they thought you were the Ruven? What would they want with the Ruven?”

“I’m not sure. I knew that if I told them I wasn’t the Ruven, they would come after a massive load of others, so I kept my mouth shut.”

“You risked your life to protect mine. . .” Shuren realized.

“Don’t worry about that Shuren, I’m alive and that matters.” Rollan said. He took another breath and continued, “Anyway, they realized that I wasn’t the Ruven anymore. They seemed to think that the Ruven lived somewhere in Hogony, so that’s when they sealed me into the wall and attacked Hogony.”

Shuren was now frustrated. He was the reason his village was attacked, and he was the reason Rollan was in danger. In a way, Bastian was right, he was the reason Rollan was taken. “So it’s all my fault.”

Rollan shook his head, “Shuren, you did not ask for any of this. You did not let this happen intentionally.”

Shuren clenched his fist. “So now that means he will come after me now that he knows I’m the Ruven. So even just being here is a danger to everyone.”

Rollan said nothing for a moment. Than he said, “Well that depends. Were they already in danger for fighting the war? Danger could not have increased any more just by knowing you are hear. If they were really planning on taking you, they would’ve attacked right after the battle, when we were weak and in need of a leader.”

Shuren sighed. He leaned back into his armchair and tried to relax. Than, something came to his mind. “Rollan, since you were once the Ruven. Could you, by any chance, teach me about it?” Shuren tried not to raise his hopes, but Rollan was his last chance.

Rollan slowly shook his head. “It’s true that I was taught by Master Zelzor himself, I was never taught the spell,” Rollan said sadly.

“Why would he not teach it to you? You were the Ruven,” Shuren wondered.

“That I do not know, but remember what I said in Veryala,” Rollan informed.

Shuren nodded. He looked at the books that sat in front of him. “What are these for?” He picked up a hard covered red book and opened the page. They were not of common language, but some words he was able to pick up. “It’s in Ingle language, right?”

“Correct,” Rollan said as Shuren handed him the book. “I believe that it can give us a start about the Neo Crystal.”

“That’s right, the crystal’s legends did originate from Ingles,” Shuren said. He thought of how Karoline would be able to help. “I’ll go get Karoline and Lloyd.” Rollan nodded. Shuren stood up and walked outside.

He made his way through the halls of Aela-Doria. He searched in Lloyd’s room but he was not present. He decided to check outside. On his way to the main hall, he spotted Karoline. She was standing next to the pillar they were both at yesterday. She was leaning against it with her arm wrapped around it. She seemed so peaceful, just staring out into the world.

Shuren approached her apprehensively. He crept up beside her. She turned and looked at him and smiled. Suddenly, a light breeze blew into the hall, causing her luscious brown hair to flow in the wind. It was such a coincidence to happen at that moment. Shuren was caught breathless. “Erm, Rollan needs us, and Lloyd also. Have you seen him?” Shuren said quickly to not awkward the moment.

She turned her attention back to the view before her, continuing her thousand mile gaze. “I think Lloyd is training with Athar. I will be at Rollan’s room soon,” She said as she walked back through the halls.

Shuren let out the breath he had been holding. He shook off his feelings and walked outside and the downward bridge that led him to the training grounds. No doubt, he found Lloyd and Athar practicing archery. Also, Wresta, Strata and Linkouz were there.

“Hey guys, how are your injuries?” Shuren asked them.

Linkouz looked up with enthusiasm, “Nothing Niance couldn’t heal. She was amazing! I can’t believe healing would be so great.”

“I think Linkouz has a little crush on the Zelze,” Lloyd said as he finished up his training. The others laughed. “How are you doing Shuren?”

“I’ve been better. Lloyd, Rollan wants to see us,” Shuren said. Lloyd nodded.

Shuren turned around and began walking until Athar called out, “Sir Ruven, what is going to happen at the meeting tomorrow?”

Shuren stopped dead in his tracks. He had no idea about a meeting that was taking place. “What meeting?” He turned around and saw Athar land on Suxar. He walked up to them.

“Everyone in Aela-Doria was informed of this. Surely, you, of all people knew about this,” Athar explained.

Shuren lowered his eyebrows in confusion. “Well, I guess now I do . . .” Without another word, Shuren began heading towards Rollan’s room. Shuren pondered about the meeting. Why was he not informed of this? He began to feel frustrated. Shuren walked faster to reach Rollan’s room.

Karoline, Rollan and Lloyd were discussing about the meeting when Shuren walked into the room. They grew silent as Shuren sat down in the last empty chair. There was silence for a few moments when Lloyd asked, “What else should we discuss tomorrow, Shuren?”

Surprised, Shuren tried to act as if he was clueless, “What meeting?” Lloyd looked at Karoline confused. “Is there something that I should know about?” Shuren acted flawlessly.

“I’m sorry,” Karoline began, “I forgot. The meeting was scheduled to be tomorrow. We are supposed to talk about our next action.”

“Now that Garland has begun recruiting forcefully, we practically have no chance of winning in numbers.” Lloyd explained.

Shuren did not realize that Lloyd and Karoline had already been notified about Garland, yet again, Shuren was the last to know. He pushed the thought aside. He asked, “How far has Garland’s recruiters traveled?”

“According to Thegor, they have reached Aremac, which is west of Veryala. Since most Ingles live in Lekay, they have not reached that far. It also has only been a few weeks after the battle.” Rollan said.

“Then they have not reached Hogony yet,” Shuren said reassured. “I say that we should organize a group of Zelzes to recruit villagers. They would be able to fly with their Dragons to reach them faster than us.”

“Yes I agree with that, and we should continue searching for the Neo Crystal.” Lloyd agreed.

“Has anyone have an idea of what it means?” Karoline asked. There was no response around the room.

“Actually,” Rollan then said with a smile, “I think I have one.” The three of them looked at Rollan with disbelief. “It’s fairly simple actually. There are three places on this main continent of Oryk that are surrounded by nothing but water. There is the Ingle town of Lekay that is surrounded by the Esanci River. There also the ruins of Kyladin wrapped around by the Rocdom River. Then there is also Hogony, surrounded by the Aimon River.”

Shuren was shocked to here Hogony in the statement. “So these places are the ruins that holds the keys?” he asked.

“I’m guessing. It’s the only thing that seems logical at the moment.” Rollan said.

“But then what if it is not supposed to be logical? Maybe it doesn’t even exist?” Karoline said in return.

“That doesn’t even matter. If Garland is after it, it must not be good. Whether is exists or not, we have to stop his plot,” reacted Lloyd.

“So do we go after these keys?” Shuren asked. Shuren was not sure of how he felt about Hogony. He was half excited that this was his chance to travel back to Hogony, but it also worried Shuren that it would be a target of Garland.

“It is up to you Shuren,” Rolland said. “You are the leader and you must make the decision of what to do.”

Without hesitation, Shuren said, “I say we go after these keys and let some Zelzes recruit for the war.” Lloyd and Karoline agreed, Rollan had no response. Shuren tried to pay no mind to it, but not having Rollan’s approval bothered him. He shook off the feeling and asked, “So when is this meeting?”

“Noon tomorrow morning,” Karoline said.

“Well I guess that’s it for our small meeting, the big one is tomorrow, at noon. Get some rest everyone, war causes a lot of stress, especially on young ones.” Everyone stood up and began heading for the door. Shuren walked out and immediately tasted fresh air. It was such a relief to have left that enclosed room. While walking, he realized that he did not even show Karoline the Ingle book. He sighed as he walked back to his room. His usual positive mood had been eroded by stress. He made his back to his room.

After heating and eating the meal that was placed in his room, Shuren washed up and went to bed.

No comments: