Welcome to the Slant, where you'll find reviews and original writings by the members of Martin Library's Teen Advisory Board.

Sunday, June 14, 2009

Poem: Darkness

by Alex M.
 
There is a darkness inside
That I constantly try to hide
It tries to keep me from my life
And puts me in a constant strife
It says I am not worthy
And all my companions will desert me
It blinds my sight
Which is wrong or which is right?
I try to disregard but my self esteem is so poor
That it bites like a deadly viper and stings to the core
Thoughts clawing and scraping in my head
My mind and spirit they constantly shred
Family and friends continue to console and continue to help
Yet, I continue to beat myself as one beats an ungrateful little whelp
I lie in bed and yell at myself “Shut up!”
“Quit feeling sorry for yourself and get up!”
Then other voices join in and chime “How can you be so selfish?!”
And over and over again these thoughts continue to swish
I am so tired of this and wish it were done
But sadly it has only begun
I need to understand that I am only eighteen,
And what lies ahead in my life has yet to be seen.

No comments: