Welcome to the Slant, where you'll find reviews and original writings by the members of Martin Library's Teen Advisory Board.

Friday, June 12, 2009

Movie Review: Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants

by Abby H.
 
In most normal circumstances, I am a firm believer that the book is always better than the movie. Being the very stubborn individual that I am, I usually just refuse to watch a movie if I have already read the book and enjoyed it. I guess my logic behind this is that I will probably not like the movie and it will ruin the vision I had in my mind that the author had painted for me in the book. However, the other day I was intrigued to sit and actually watch The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants movie.

I must say, this book is one of my all time favorites, and when I first saw the previews for the movie, I already had this vision in my mind of the book being pulverized by Hollywood and decided I had no interest in seeing it. However, the other day, I decided to be open-minded, and turned on the movie. I found that the producers did a fabulous job of following the book, almost to all points, and instead of ruining the vision I had in mind while reading the book, they more or less brought that vision to life in this movie.

Though a few minor things are changed in the movie, the plot is the same and the main actresses do a great job of bringing Lena, Carmen, Tibby, and Bridgette to life. If you read the book and enjoyed it, I would definitely recommend seeing the move and even if you did not read the book, I would still recommend checking out the movie because it is just a good story in general that all can enjoy.

No comments: