Welcome to the Slant, where you'll find reviews and original writings by the members of Martin Library's Teen Advisory Board.

Thursday, June 11, 2009

Book Review: The House of the Scorpion by Nancy Farmer

by Abby

The book begins with the details of Matt, the main character’s birth. It was by no stretch of the imagination a normal one. His first cell split and divided inside a petri dish. He was then placed inside the womb of a cow and harvested as a baby. Most people are disgusted by him except for El Patron because, essentially Matt is El Patron. They share they same DNA. Matt is El Patron’s clone. But in Matt’s time clones are created to provide spare parts to increase the life expectancy of their recipient. Although Matt discovers this and voices his fears, he is assured that becoming an organ donor is not his purpose. As he struggles to find his reason for existing, he is threatened by El Patron’s sinister family and dangerous bodyguards. Matt realizes that escape is his only chance at survival.

I will give Nancy Farmer credit for the fact that she has a fabulous imagination. Many of her characters and plot twists I found fascinating. One thing that’s so attractive about this book is that it’s story and plot are so original. I’ve never read anything quite like it, which is refreshing seeing as many books today have similar story lines. Who hasn’t read enough retold fairy tales?

The House of the Scorpion is truly excellent. I looked at the cover of the book and thought that it might be interesting, but wasn’t entirely convinced. When I read it for the first time I found that I really didn’t want to put it down. Farmer created very appealing characters. I find that when I read a good book with well developed characters, I feel as if I know them. The country where the story takes place is called Opium, a strip of poppy fields positioned between the United States and what was once Mexico. It adds another dimension to the already great story. Farmer has achieved so much with her fantastic story.

I think that this book was very well written and highly recommend it. Nancy Farmer has done a wonderful job with this book.

No comments: