Welcome to the Slant, where you'll find reviews and original writings by the members of Martin Library's Teen Advisory Board.

Thursday, June 11, 2009

Book Review: The First Part Last (Angela Johnson)

By Kate

Upon reading the back cover I thought that I had experienced the whole book. Didn’t think I’d like the book much, just another book about a troubled teen, had sex and is now having a baby. But wait, this time it’s the guy. From his point of view, the story is told.

Just as the title says the story starts out with Bobby already having Feather. Then as the story progresses realized that he is having flash backs, sort of, or when you think about it, it’s the first part last.

As I watched Bobby struggle through life and school, I tended to ask myself where Nia, the mother, is. In the end I found that the story lets you see what happens to her. Once I realized that she died the whole story made a lot of sense.

Overall, it was good. A change from the normal book of the girl going through it all, to the guy was nice. I enjoyed it.

No comments: